Saturday is our big "work on the house day." The kids hate it because they're aware that every other family is on vacation (Crummett family reunion in Washington today), at the lake (Mal & her fam), or just having fun. But we chose to buy a house that needs work, so here we are. We got a Lawn Watering Schedule from the HOA, which showed that we need to water our lawn in a time window from midnight to 1:45 am. Lately we've been doing it during waking hours because the sprinkler heads are all broken and so it's Grant job to run the sprinklers and then pull up the heads that are stuck. He can't do that in the middle of the night. The sprinklers wil be stuck. Our lawn will die. So that was the main project on the agenda. A big downside to that was it was over 100* outside. Lydia was a trooper sweating away digging up the sprinklers for Pat. The other kids would work for a few minutes and then complain. At night they worked a bit more diligently, probably because it wasn't direct sunlight, but it was still very hot outside.
I painted doors and Heidi mostly worked on cleaning up the caulking I removed from the master tub. (I tried to make her happy by giving her an inside job. But any work instead of play for Heidi doesn't make her happy).
Because I was in "working" mode, I figured we'd have to re-schedule the Family Pizza Movie Night we were planning for today. It was 5:30pm, way too late to start. But Pat thought it'd be fun and we were all hungry, so I quickly started all 3 break makers dough-making, pulled the cheese out of the freezer to thaw, and started chopping veggies. With Lydia's help, we were able to get it all done by 7 or 7:30. Quite the feat! It was good to have a reward after a long hard day. The downside though is that because the kids stayed up so late, we have to adjust our plans for Sunday morning. We were going to attend the ward that we "should" be going to in hopes that Lydia would meet some youth that will be at the same high school as her next year. (I started getting major anxiety realizing that she's not going to get into Compass this year, it's her first year of high school at a completely new and foreign place, and she knows ZERO people there. Gosh my heart races and I get a pit in my stomach just thinking about it. Empathizing with her trying to find a place to sit in the cafeteria makes me want to cry and just pull her out of school altogether. I'm really regretting turning down her acceptance to Idaho Arts Charter. If only I couldn't seen that she wouldn't have gotten into Compass, I would've made some different decisions). It's really difficult for me to have so many unknowns in the future.
It was Anderson's turn to pick a movie. He chose The Lorax. I've seen it a few times, but as we started it, I realized that the kids were so little when they first watched it. Lydia was laughing at some of the lines that went over her head when she was younger. And Chase was riveted. Sitting up, leaning in, wide eyes. He even jumped during the scene where the animals put the guy's bed in the river and, during its journey, suddenly hits rapids. I wish I had a picture of his face! It was more entertaining to watch Chase watch the movie than the actual movie itself.




No comments:
Post a Comment