Summer 2023
We ordered a million pounds of "crushed rock." Much to our dismay, apparently crushed rock in Idaho is different than crushed rock in Colorado. Instead of the jagged, compactible rock we needed in our backyard, we ended up with a million tons of round rock that contantly gives and moves under your feet. I didn't realize it as the wrong rock until after we rented a loaded to bring it all to the backyard and worked all day to spread it over the ENTIRE backyard. Unknown to me, Pat had recognized it immidiately, but was secretly hoping it would work any way since, trying to redeem such a massive mistake. Well, it turns out it was unredeemable.
Spring 2024
So we spent more DAYS removing the round rock where the artificial grass with go to other areas of the yard. We ordered 8 tons of very expensive (~$70/ton) decorative rock. But at least it's closer to the correct size and WILL compact! I guess Idaho just doesn't do xeriscaping like Colorado does, so they don't have the rock resources and prices like Colorado. Grrrr.
We moved it in 1 day!! I was so proud of Heidi, Grant, and me. Pat helped a ton too, but I'm the one that usually poops out early. And the kids usually complain the whole time. But this time, apparently 5 wheelbarrow fulls for Heidi and Grant wasn't the "worse" and Grant was excited to earn points for extra wheelbarrow-fulls. I need to strength train more though because oh my gosh I am so so so SO incredible sore. I needed 2 Ibuprofen the next morning just to get through the day.
My IG caption 5/7/24: I am so so SO incredibly sore right now, but we moved 8 TONS of rock to the backyard in less than 12 hours!🎉 Pat is the non-stop hard working, but I'm quite proud of the effort Grant, Heidi, and I put in. 😊





No comments:
Post a Comment