When we first moved to Idaho, we rented a home that was in the boundaries of the Franklin Ward/congregation. I didn't know then what a blessing it would be for us. This ward is something special. And it's special because of a community of people that are, well, the best. First of all, there are a handful of women who are actually in my similar stage in life! Our kids comprise 97% of the youth group and all the youth get along and enjoy hanging out with each other. The women are smart, faithful, and good to the bone. When truly mourned (and are still mourning) having to leave that ward when our house was finished and we had to move out of town. Laura mentioned last year that we should come to the next ward campout, even if we weren't in the ward anymore. I didn't want to do any tent camping so I set an alarm for 6 months before the camp date to reserve a camper site. Pat had a busy day and wasn't able to do it in the morning (which was my plan), but luckily by the afternoon there was still 1 LAST site!! We grabbed it. I still surprised how fast sites are taken even 6 months in advance.
I was nervous that the weather called for rain during the campout. I figured, well, we have the trailer. Let's just go for it and hope for the best. It turrned out to be just what my soul needed. It filled all buckets that I need for energy and fun. Lots of good conversation. Beging in beautiful nature. Watching my kids run wild, have fun with friends, and have new experiences. I was bummed when Carrie (my kindre spirit) didn't come with Dan & the girls because of schedule conflicts with her other girls. And Leslie also didn't come. But it turns out I found plenty of people to talk to, and things to keep me busy.

Because we brought our camper and everyone else had tents, we were able to set up very quickly. Others were straggling in late, thus leaving Pat and I feeling a little awkward, wandering around with not much to do while everyone else was setting up their camps. Pat asked me if he should get the fire started. I checked my watch and realized that if anyone was planning on using the fire to cook their dinner (which was THE advertised plan), then yes that would be a perfect idea and a huge service to the rest of the group, seeing as by the time they got around to it, the fire would be ready WAY after dinner time. Making a fire is Pat's time to shine. He's so good at it. I was off helping Mikki fill up water jugs, but when I checked on Pat, Grant, & Pierce (the boys helping to chop wood with the ax, which they loved), Pat explained that the fire was having a tough time starting. I suppose the wood was wetter than they thought. Right as Pat was getting close to giving up, he managed to get the fire to stay lit! Finally! The fire gave me something to do as well. I gave myself the job of gathering wood to keep the fire going (it seemed Pat and I were the only adults that really cared about the fire, but we were happy to take on that job. It felt good to do something needful for the group camp). I dragged large branches from a pile made by forest rangers of pruned branches over to Grant & Pierce, where they were supposed to chop them into smaller pieces to fit in the fire. They had fun with the ax, but in after a while they just wanted to mess around instead of taking on the serious job of prepping enough wood to feed the fire.
All was well until it started to rain. The clouds seemed uncertain, sprinkling...then stopping...sprinkling...stopping. I was getting nervous, concluding that weather.com was indeed true in its forecast, but everyone seemed to have a really good attitude about it. They hooked up tarps for a bit of rain cover and didn't show any signs of calling it quits and going home (which I would've strongly considered).
The real miracle was yet to come. A few minutes later when the heavens opened and it down-poured. We all huddled under the big tree and tarps to stay as dry as possible. But it was the fire that suffered the damage. Pat had worked so hard to get it started, with a team effort feeding it for all that time beforehand. We concluded that there's truly no way the fire could survive through that thorough of a downpour. Fortunately the steady heavy rain stopped, giving us hope that maybe the camping trip might continue. You wouldn't believe our surprise when we checked on the fire, and it was still alive!! Pat coaxed it back to health and Laura brought a dry box of wood to feed it (where was this dry box of wood when we were trying to start it???). Oh that fire was a miracle. For the next while, I could stand by it and get dry and warm. We were able to cook dinners on it, and later everyone gathered around as we chatted into the late night. It was really terrific.
 |
Heidi, Ruby Luker, Juliet Luker, & Anderson Danforth play checkers (background: Adele Bourne, Evan Danforth legs, Grant bum, Ander & Pat at fire, Dave Betts hat, Hinkley Danforth)
|
|
|
|
 |
Dan Luker pops popcorn over the fire in the cutest little cooker. It took a while, but he did get a bowl full to share :D
|
 |
We couldn't get enough baby Graham time
|
 |
This was the first time I had to compete with my girls to hold a baby. They've really grown up!
|
 |
Cooking in the rain. (I suppose they were smart to bring food that didn't need a fire. We had our camper to fall back on. But others relied on the fire, so we were glad it survived!)
|
 |
Sister & Bro Franz, bro Shumway blue shirt background
|
 |
The youth had fun hanging, [laying, and roaming the woods together
|
 |
L to R: Adele Boure, Juliet Luker, Maggie Betts, Anderson Danforth, Heidi, Hazel & Chloe Betts, Lydia, Clark Bringhurst
|
 |
Not to self: next time I have a small baby...go camping with people who only have older kids. So many extra hands!!
|
 |
Laura Betts got all the youth occupied for over an hour with a couple "magic" games
|
 |
Bro Peterson [green shirt] brought his special needs son, Gary on his first camping trip here. They had quite a few mishaps that would get me frustrated, but he had such a positive attitude through it all (burnt cornbread, missing ingredient, rain in tent)
|
 |
I don't know who brought this wood block throwing game, but it kept Chase & the littles occupied for quite some time. Especially since they made up their own rules :)
|
 |
Had to take a selfie to prove I was there too
|
 |
S'more time!
|
 |
Breakfast! Pancakes, sausage (they had a TON, which Grant was very happy about), & hashbrowns
|
 |
Pat will be very happy I posted this picture of him - Ha!
|
What I love about hiking with this group of people is that the adults are so fun. They do things that I just would never think to do, nor does it interest me. But the kids have so much fun. I love that my kids can have more opportunities BECAUSE of them, than what Pat & I alone would give them. Here Evan & Andy Bourne said they were headed to the river (which was clearly marked private property where they had to park, but they're such risk takers that way! lol). My younger kids were happy to tag along.
 |
Grant was hoping for gold (haha), but I heard that they found small agate pieces. I know nothing about geology, so that was cool
|
 |
Chloe, Laura, Dave, and Maggie Betts, Lydia, Mikki Franz, Anderson
|
 |
Anderson Danforth, Heidi, Lydia, Jayne Danforth, Chase, Hazel Betts, Adele Bourne
|
 |
| Cali Shumway, Marian & Naomi Bourne, Isla Danforth |
No comments:
Post a Comment