Entering the 4th decade of my life is a doozy!! I'm not ready to be 40. I don't feel a day over 31, yet somehow I have continued to age. And I'm at the age that 30 year-olds think is old! I'm the age that children this is ANCIENT! My only saving grace is that those in their 50's & 60's think I'm young (sigh).
Plan A: Host the party that one is SUPPOSED to have for their 40th. Invite all my good friends and their families for a fun backyard party. We can show everyone our new home and how "great it is for hosting big parties!"
Our backyard is a patch of dirt. And will continue to be a bare patch of dirt (with a lot of weeds) for a LONG....long... time (sniff sniff cry). And the house is a mess. Five months here and we're still greatly unsettled and def NOT ready for a party (sulk).
Plan B: Runaway with Pat to somewhere new & exciting (or at least difference from the every day). Life is busy and plane tickets to Texas are $$$$... and it was a lot to put together so last minute. Going out of town at the end of school is something that needs a lot more planning than we were up to right now.
Thus Plan C was born: I was getting pretty depressed about the whole thing and was rapidly losing the desire to do ANYTHING to celebrate the day. Then Pat gave me some really good advice. (which he often does, which is why I keep him around ;) ). He explained that he thought it would be very good to show the kids that even when things don't go the way we were hoping for... when we can't do exactly what we were hoping for... we can adjust, celebrate, and still have fun. I couldn't argue with that wisdom. I would be very sad if my children just gave up if the grand picture in their head wasn't possible for some reason. I need to show them that I can do that do. HARD! I have a ways to grow yet!
Grant was so incredibly sweet and thoughtful. I'm used to people not doing anything super special for my birthday (maybe Lydia making me a card? or as she got older maybe some chocolate with it?) So imagine my surprise when Grant (who loves to sleep) woke up EARLY on his own(!) to make the boys' lunches and get them out the door. He knows it's often a struggle for me, especially at this home stretch at the end of the year. (And the fact that Chase pretty much refuses to do anything on his own if it means a higher chance of going to school. He hates school).
For Grant to notice what was stressful to me and then to wake up on his own to take care of it and make it an easy morning was such a delightful surprise.
My watch wished me a happy birthday. In times like these, it's funny and a little sad how much attention one gets from their mortgage broker, dentist, fitness watch, and social media accounts, as opposed to real life people.
Leslie Danforth met us at the restaurant to wish me a happy birthday and give me a present (dehydrated strawberries. I love consumable gifts :) ). She is so thoughtful. She sat down and we chatted for a bit. I admire how casual and friendly she is with everyone. I often feel so awkward that I think I come off distant or uncaring, when that's often the opposite. I just don't know the "rules" of friendship or social engagement. I suppose I've been out of the game too long :( I would love to feel comfortable about kindred spirits once again. I've had a few in my life and it was wonderful.
For dinner we did "Chinese Takeout" a la Costco: orange chicken, lo mein, and potstickers
Behind the scenes of "everyone kisses mom" picture. Oh each of their faces! lol. And Chase stroking my hair, haha
I wasn't in the mood for cake or donuts this year. But I was intrigued by the idea of assorted chocolates. So I bought a bunch and we cut them up into tiny portions and taste-tested all the different flavors. I taught them about caramels always being square, ha!






No comments:
Post a Comment