After church, I convinced/forced the family to go on a little hike that I've been wanting to do: Jump Creek Trail. Instead of walking the well-worn mere 1/2 mile path to the falls, Pat found a little 2-mile loop. It supposedly ended at the falls. I assumed it was easy and jumped on board. We grabbed some water, but didn't bother with food since it was just a "little" hike.
Oh my were we in for a surprise! The path began extremely steep. Thinking that was the hardest part of the hike, we persevered. We were wrong. The hike was extremely steep whether uphill or down. And about 1/3 of the way through our "loop" the path all but disappeared. There was extensive bushwhacking, causing many scrapes, scratches, and rashes. We were covered in burrs.
Pat assured us that if we could just keep going, we would end at the falls. I dug deep and even though my feet were killing me and everyone was hot and sweaty, I kept going, dreaming of taking off my shoes and soaking my worn feet in the cool water while the kids play happily.
The loop did indeed end at the falls. But at the wrong end. It ended at the top of the falls with no way down. in fact, we saw climbing anchors drilled into the rock so that you could repel down. Grant had confidence we could rock climb down the cliff face, but Pat was reluctant. I trust Pat so it was a no-go. I was completely spent.
We had little water left and no food. I had pushed my body to the edge just to get to that point. This was made worse by the fact that Pat & I had given blood the day before. I was truly doubtful that I could make the steep, risky, bushwhacking 3 hour journey back. At the same time, I didn't want to have to call search and rescue because that would be embarrassing!
Pat & Grant considered trying to scale the steep cliffs, but I said, No Way. The chances of finding a good, safe route through that was slim to none. We were left with only one option: go back the way we came. THREE HOURS of a grueling balancing act of inching along the mountain side so as to not slide down with the loose gravel. I dug deeper in my soul, ignored my shaking legs, and started back. We had only made it about 20 minutes when Pat & Grant pointed up at a steep hill between 2 large rock cliffs. One the way in they had made some joke about "some poor unfortunate soul" having to climb through that. But suddenly they thought maybe WE could be those poor unfortunate souls and cut our hike in half (instead of around the horrible cliffs). We were at a cross roads: do we spend the extra time and energy on a possibly shorter path that might not work? Or do we go back the way we came knowing we can get there eventually, but it's 3 hours and grueling and we're running out of water.
Things were getting contentious: Pat & Grant wanting to try the pass. Lydia wanting to go back the way we came. I'm sad that I was the only one to think of this, but I announced: let's pray. I prayed that we would feel peace about which way to go (amongst other things). Opening my eyes, I didn't feel horrible about the mountain pass. (It reminded me of the same situation I had 25 years ago in Hawaii walking to China Man's Hat). Pat and Grant offered to go ahead. We didn't have cell signal so we decided that if we heard them yell, then we would know that it was good and to follow them. Otherwise we would just wait for them to return. I told the kids to settle down for the 45 minute wait. I had Heidi attempt to lay on my leg and sleep. She had a major headache (she usually sleeps at this time during the day, and she told me that she hadn't eaten anything after church. I did not know this and was worried now that I saw the full extent of her lack of physical reservoirs). Imagine our utter glee when I heard a faint yelling in the distance less than 15 minutes later! I was so incredibly happy! The fact that there was a way out, and that it took way less than 45 minutes. I couldn't care less about the burr-covered grass that filled the steep hill. I just grabbed the grass to pull me up and let the weeds slice at my legs. I could not get up that hill fast enough. I had to stop a couple times because my heart rate got too high, but eventually we all made it! Our relief was made even sweeter when we saw the main path and it ended up being less than an hour back to the car!!!
God and our guardian angels truly gave us a miracle. We were all hungry and dehydrated (especially Pat and I from the lack of blood!), but we were alive and safe. Talk about a mother's day I'll never forget!




No comments:
Post a Comment